Where is Dapoxetine ?
Premature ejaculation is one of the most common forms of sexual dysfunction that men face. It is estimated that up to 20% of men between ages 18 to 59 face it. While some men experience it fleetingly, there are those for whom this is a chronic condition. Till quite recently it was looked as a psychological problem and therapy was suggested to treat it. However recent studies have proved the role of serotonin in causing premature ejaculation. Needless to say, the path of action is to prevent serotonin to get its way.
It is for this reason that dapoxetine is used by adult males. It was previously being researched for use as an antidepressant. However, that research did not pan out and dapoxetine was shelved for the time being. However, its serotonin inhibiting characteristic was noted. Dapoxetine also marketed as Priligy, is a member of the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) family. It inhibits serotonin transporter and increases serotonin action in a postsynaptic cleft. As a result, it can successfully increase the time before ejaculation. It is the first chemical that has been developed to treat premature ejaculation.
How to administer dapoxetine?
Dapoxetine comes in tablet form of 30 grams and 60 grams. Its effects can be felt almost immediately, thus it is advised to take one to three hours before expected sexual activity. The effects usually last for one to two hours after administrating it. While there is no known case of overdose physicians frequently advise to not take a dose larger than the one prescribed.
Since there is no schedule to taking the medication, there is no chance of missing it. The tablet is bitter in taste, and hence it is advised not to chew it, but rather swallow it with water. You should also drink a full glass of water along with the tablet in order to counter side effects like nausea, dizziness, and headaches. Also, it is advised to not take it with alcohol or recreational drugs as they might exacerbate the side effects of dapoxetine.
Benefits of dapoxetine
Dapoxetine is one of the most effective members of the SSRI family. It has a lot of benefits that make it a better option by a large margin. Some of these benefits include:
- Research backed – While a lot of drugs are used without any clinical trials, and sometimes using loopholes in the law, dapoxetine is not like that. Where other members of the SSRI family like fluoxetine, paroxetine etc. are used off-label and do not have the backing of any government agency, dapoxetine does. It has proved in randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials that it actually is effective.
- Prevention of desensitization – As mentioned earlier, dapoxetine is absorbed and eliminated rapidly from the body. This is a deviation from other members of the SSRI family who remain in the body for a while. What quick absorption and elimination mean is that the risk of desensitization to the drug is limited. It further helps in minimizing the side effects as you do not end up using more with time.
- Across the board approval – One of the surefire ways to check if a drug is truly safe or not is to check if it is approved by regulatory agencies of other countries. Dapoxetine has that feather in its cap. It is approved by more than 50 countries the world over. It is approved in Italy, Spain, New Zealand, France, South Korea, and Argentina to name just a few.
- No long-term side effects – Another advantage of the rapid absorption and elimination of dapoxetine is that it prevents long-term side effects. Unlike other members of the SSRI family, you can take it whenever you want and not have to worry about doing any permanent damage to your body.
- No need for pill schedule – Since the pills can be taken when needed, you don’t need to maintain a schedule. This means that you don’t “miss” and doses and the chances of overdosing are reduced drastically as you don’t try to make up for missed doses. Also, the effect is immediate and not gradual as it is with other SSRIs.
- Drawbacks of dapoxetine
Not all aspects of dapoxetine, however, are beneficial. Like all other enhancers, it has its drawbacks that all potential users must consider before using it. These drawbacks include:
- Does not work for everyone – While dapoxetine works like a charm with people who have premature ejaculation, it does not work for everyone. While people with life-long premature ejaculation also known as primary premature ejaculation get benefits out of it, people who have acquired it later in their also known as secondary premature ejaculation life see no such benefit.
- Interactions with other drugs – One of the persistent problems with medication is the adverse reactions that it causes to existing body conditions and drugs being taken. Thus dapoxetine should not be consumed by people with cardiovascular conditions like heart failure, permanent pacemaker, or significant ischemic heart diseases. It also reacts unfavorably with CYP3A4 inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, and a few more classes of drugs. Thus you should always consult your physician before taking dapoxetine.
- Rejected by FDA – Dapoxetine has been rejected by the FDA once already. While studies and clinical trials back it, and verify the effectiveness of the drug, the FDA not backing it is a little worrying. However, it should be noted that the company is applying again and that speaks volumes for the confidence that the corporation has in dapoxetine.
From a holistic perspective, dapoxetine is a go. SSRIs have been used for quite a while to treat premature ejaculation. However, the other members in the SSRI come with their own set of drawbacks that, in comparison to dapoxetine make them unviable. Dapoxetine has less severe side effects, and the clinical trials done on it are a huge win. Of course, it is very important to consult your physician before start consumption but that applies to almost all drugs and performance enhancers. Also, it is important to wait for at least fourteen days after stopping your other medications and starting dapoxetine. Taken responsibly dapoxetine can work wonders for your premature ejaculation problems.