What is MCT Oil?
Medium chain triglycerides are also known as MCT. They derive its name because of its chemical structure which is medium chain fatty acids with three fatty acids and a glycerol backbone. It is a healthy fat and is absorbed easily because the body has a less work in breaking the carbon bonds. They are smaller in size and can penetrate and maneuver in the cell membrane more easily and it does not require special enzymes for the body to utilize them.
MCTs are processed whereby they source high-quality natural oil such as coconut oil and they do fractional distillation where Capric acids are extracted and separated from the rest of the fats. Then they use lipase which is an enzyme to produce triglycerides through a process known as lipase esterification. Then they filter and remove the lipase and acidify then they bleach and deodorize and are packed through the FDA for the quality to be analyzed then it is sold to the masses.
They reduce the risk of low-fat diets because they are gut-friendly and can help in the fight against bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites. It contains antioxidants properties and can be used to treat a lot of health problems.
They are considered to be a great source of energy because it is easier to metabolize and the fastest source of clean fuel for the body and brain. It requires minimal action from the liver to convert directly into fuel in the form of ketones.
Ketones are the brains two primary fuel sources and a vital source of ATP energy for the body. ATP energy allows every muscle to operate smoothly inside the body. A ketogenic diet is designed to help the body to run on fats (ketones) rather than carbohydrates a state known as ketosis.
These are the sources of MCT natural oils they include; Coconut oil, Milk, Butter and Palm Kernel oil. Coconut oil contains MCT but in small quantities and it is a man-made saturated fatty acid made in a lab that helps in giving the body energy it needs without overfilling it with a lot of food.
There are different types of MCT oil. they include;
- Lauric acid
- Capric acid
- Caprylic acid
- Caproic acid
Lauric acid is a saturated fatty acid used in the preservation of food to prevent spoilage. It also can be used to treat viral infections such as genital herpes, common cold, cold sores, flu, yeast infections, reduces bad cholesterol and helps fighting acne breakouts and to lower the risk of heart disease. Also help in industries to make soaps, lotions, rubber, softeners, detergents and insecticides. It is insoluble in water and can be found in palm oil and coconuts.
Capric acid is a medium chain fatty acid found in saturated fats also known as Decanoic acid and has a sweet unpleasant smell. When combined with Lauric and Caprylic acids they help increase levels of good cholesterol hence can help children fight infections and toxins. Contains a strong antimicrobial and antiviral properties to help fight viruses and bacteria and yeast candida and can be processed in the liver quickly and it is a good source of energy during workouts and aids in fat and weight loss.
Caprylic acid is a saturated fatty acid that is found in coconuts, cows milk and human breast milk which helps in preventing the overgrowth of yeast that live in the intestine and to prevent urinary infections , bladder infections , treating skin infections and acne , inflammatory digestive disorders and also help in reducing the risk of antibiotic resistance.
Caproic acid is a medium chain fatty acid that can be used in the conversion of clean energy source and ATP. Used in treating athletes foot and ringworms. It is also known as Hexanoic acid and can be found in animal fats and oil. It can be used to make esters which add artificial flavors and hexyl derivatives.
MCT Oil Features
- Contains 6-12 carbon atoms
- Has only saturated fatty acids
- It can be absorbed in the colon and small intestines with no digestive enzymes.
- Can be turned into ketones
- Has minimal fat storage
- Has a lower boiling point
- Induces calories to burn
- It is soluble in water and biological fluids like blood
- Can cross the mitochondrial membrane
- Doesn’t require bile or pancreatic enzymes
- Doesn’t require carnitine to be turned into energy
- Tasteless and liquid in room temperature
- Contains 100% MCTs
- Highly absorbable
- Doesn’t need to be broken down into smaller molecules
MCT Oil Benefits
- It helps in the treatment of digestive problems such as pancreatic insufficiency and severe hyperchylomicronemia.
- Boosts energy
- Help in overall weight management
- Lower blood sugar levels and help in managing diabetes
- Helps in lowering cholesterol
- Helps in fighting dementia
- Boosts endurance during workouts
- Helps improve stamina
- It can be used as a solvent in oral medicine because it has a bland taste.
- Helps in reducing cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer
- Used to help people who can’t digest food well
- Boosts mental clarity
- Boosts fat burning because it contains a higher burn rate and the body can quickly metabolize fat.
- Lauric acid a type of MCT can be used to kill bacteria and viruses
- Help in reducing the growth of infectious fungus such as Malassezia
- Help improve the gut area and improve intestinal secretion of antibodies
- Help reduce fat and calories intake by tricking the body that it is full
- Help in weight loss because it converts calories and fats quickly
- Increases energy and enhance performance in high intensity performance
- Improves cholesterol levels and higher antioxidant vitamin levels
- Improves cardiometabolic profile in obese individuals
- Increases insulin sensitivity in adults with type 2 diabetes
- Improves learning ,memory and brain processing in individuals with mild and moderate Alzheimer’s disease
- Improves memory in individuals with mild cognitive impairments
- Improves cognitive status in women
- Improves muscle strength and function in frail elderly people
- Helps in balancing hormone levels
- Improves mood
- Helps protect the heart
- Can withstand high heat while cooking
- Can help you train harder and longer because it helps boost energy
- Helps to get rid of cravings for sugar and carbohydrates
- Helps you stay in nutritional ketosis
- Helps prevent muscle loss
- Has stability and can stay at room temperature
Examples of MCT Oil
Viva Naturals Non-GMO Pure Coconut MCT oil – It is gluten-free, vegan and paleo diet approved because it is extracted from fresh handpicked coconuts and aids in weight management and also improves stamina and athleticism and boosting mental focus. It is odorless and colorless and can be used in salad dressings, sauces and smoothies.
Bulletproof Brain Octane oil – Made from 100% pure coconut oil and it is free from harsh chemicals and solvents. It is used to support healthy digestion and immune system and a go-to the source of natural healthy source of energy which helps you feel full for a long time and also helps you be mentally focused.
Now Foods MCT 100% oil – Helps in balancing the bacteria in the gut and has the ability to absorb minerals and vitamins. Helps to kill a wide range of viruses and bacteria that cause digestive issues and improve blood sugar levels and raise metabolic rate.
Natures way 100% potency MCT oil from Coconut – It is gluten-free, flavorless and odorless. Made from pure coconuts it is gentle on the stomach and is easy to digest and helps in managing weight. May be used salads dressing, smoothies, shakes, and coffee.. Also helps to improve mental focus, mood, and endurance
Premium MCT oil from sustainable coconuts – Contains 100% pure MCT oil which has been filtered a couple of times. It is not harsh on the stomach and is used as energy because it is broken down very fast and it increases the metabolic rate hence help in weight management. It may be added to salads, smoothies. May also be used to improving mental clarity and suppress cravings.
MCT oils vary in prices and may range from 12 dollars to 30 dollars depending on the manufacturer and the type of material used to manufacture it and the purity level of the products.
How to use MCT Oil
- It can be used as a moisturizer – add a tablespoon of MCT oil and mix with a tub of lotion mix thoroughly and use it generously it will make your skin smooth and shinier.
- You can mix it with nut butter to kill cravings and also help you stay in nutritional ketosis and also stay focused and energized.
- You can blend the oil with your tea or coffee to provide energy
- Drizzle it on top of your salad and food to decrease the number of blood sugars and insulin levels after eating
- Blend with your shakes and smoothies by adding a tablespoon of the oil with two scoops of protein powder then blend together to help you feel energized and diminish your cravings by helping you stay full longer.
- You can also use the oil to Sautee your vegetables
Conclusion on MCT Oil
MCT oil is beneficial for people who want to burn calories and also maintain a healthy lifestyle before you buy the oil ensure that it is of the highest quality and also good for people who want to start the ketogenic way of life .
Sol Ruiz heads our Research Digest department. He graduated from the New York University where he obtained his Master’s Degree in Public Health.