Many people, more particularly women – for many reasons prime of which is their monthly menstrual cycle, regularly have to deal with water retention. Many things cause water retention in both men and women, things like long plane journeys, changes in hormone and too much salt in the diet. The reason they cause water retention is that in that situation your body does not have a balanced hydration level, this causes the body to hang on to water instead of letting the excess go like it should.
Water retention shows itself with bloating, puffiness and swelling. Fortunately, it’s not a very serious problem to have, it is mostly caused by diet, genetics or the menstrual cycle. This means some people are more prone to it than others. The good news is that water retention can be fixed easily. There are lifestyle changes that can be made and products that can be used. Here we talk about Diurex, a line of products that is fairly well known in the market as a solution to water retention.
What is Diurex and how does it work?
Diurex is the brand name of over the counter water pills that help combat water retention. The brand consists of a line of diuretic pills that work as a solution for water retention and the symptoms associated with it. Some products in the line are designed specifically in combination with the diuretic ingredients to help effectively manage menstrual cramps, fatigue, and other symptoms.
The company uses the tagline “drop the water” to help advertise the brand, they also claim to be the “#1 best-selling diuretic brand”
To understand how the product works it’s important to understand what diuretics are and how they work. Diuretics are usually pills or compounds that cause urination on a more excessive basis than normal. This allows the body to get rid of excess salt and water that the body is hanging onto and as a result causing puffiness and bloating.
Diurex works by making your body release more salt from the kidneys, which causes you to urinate more frequently. Diuretics also help relax blood vessels which means they can help improve blood flow and lower high blood pressure.
Many doctors will prescribe diuretics to help treat some kidney diseases and high blood pressure among other things. However, these pills are considered mostly safe since they are partly natural, as such they are also easily and widely available over the counter as well.
As a safe over the counter solution for reducing water-related bloating and swelling, Diurex is often used by men and women for various reasons. A common use for most women is to help keep bloat and puffiness to a minimum, especially during menstruation. Many bodybuilders also often use the product as a way to cut water and increase the visibility of muscle before they compete.
There are different kinds of diuretics. Diurex is what is known as a loop diuretic which means that the product increases the amount of water the body passes in urination as opposed to some other diuretics that help reduce reabsorption of sodium and water. This difference means that Diurex is a temporary solution to the water retention.
Who makes Diurex?
The Diurex brand includes Diurex Max, Diurex Aquagels, Diurex Ultra, Diurex Water Pills, Diurex Water Capsules and Diurex water pills XPL and Diurex Ultimate. The products are meant to cater to various diuretic needs and they are manufactured by Alva-Amco.
Alva Amco has been around since 1904, which is quite a long time. They produce a variety of specialty over the counter medications, dietary supplements, and skin care products. They market over 20 specialty brands. The product is one of their best-known brand names along with Nauzene (for nausea), Backaid (over the counter pain medication for backaches) and Fungicure (topical anti-fungal products) among others.
The Diurex line up uses two main ingredients to help serve as active ingredients in their diuretics. The formulations of the different pills are different to suit different needs. The ingredients that are active diuretics in the product are:
- Pamabrom – this common safe diuretic is often used to temporarily treat bloating, swelling and other signs of weight gain related to menstrual symptoms or water retention
- Caffeine Anhydrous – this ingredient is simply dehydrated caffeine, in certain doses, it is used to treat water retention safely. It is also used as a stimulant in higher doses.
The Diurex Brand Line
There are 6 products in the Diurex line of products:
- Diurex Max – This product is meant to help relieve temporary water weight gain and is aimed specifically at women suffering from menstrual discomforts.
One caplet every six hours less than 4 times in a 24 hour period is the recommended dosage for Diurex Max. It is also recommended that customers should consult with a doctor before taking the product for more than ten days in a row.
- Diurex Aqualgels – This formulation is similar to Diurex Max and is a maximum strength formula. However, the solubilized Pamabrom allows for immediate release into the body and as such is meant to be fast acting
- Diurex Water Capsules – Featuring the same ingredient as the previous two brand line offerings, Diurex Water Capsules differ in the way the capsule is formulated. The capsules contain hundreds of “tiny, quick dissolving medicated beads”. It is formulated this way to deliver extended release relief
- Diurex Water Pills – This product uses caffeine instead of pamabrom as a diuretic. 50mg of caffeine along with 162mg of magnesium salicylate helps work as a solution for mild pain, bloating, and other menstrual discomforts while also addressing water retention.
- Diurex Ultra – This maximum strength pill also contains 50mg of caffeine. The dosage for this product is 2 pills which mean each recommended dose is meant to provide 100mg of caffeine. Since caffeine is also an effective stimulant as well as an effective diuretic, this pill helps combat temporary water retention problems while also tackling fatigue and providing energy.
- Diurex Ultimate – From the packaging and label, Diurex Ultimate looks exactly like Ultra. The dosage of caffeine is also the same. The only difference in this pill is that it contains something called BioBoost. There isn’t much information provided on what BioBoost is and how it adds more to Diurex Ultimate.
Since this is an over the counter pill, it should be fairly affordable which it is the entire line of products ranges from $4.50 to $10. The product is also easily accessible online, in pharmacies or in any retail location where one might pick up over the counter medication.
It uses proven ingredients which means there isn’t much guesswork involved in whether or not the products will work. The brand itself is fairly popular and the products regularly feature high ratings on online shopping platforms.
The company that produces Diurex, Alva-Amco, is a well-established company that lends its good reputation to the Diurex line of products. You can be confident they are manufactured safely and quality controlled.
The above reasons are a huge part in the fact that the product is an established brand for diuretics and has earned many a customer’s trust and loyalty.
Things to Watch Out For
Even though this is a product that is well established and popular in the market, there are a few things to note before you decide to go forward with using Diurex.
Diurex brand of products aimed at relieving temporary water retention. Which means relief is also temporary and it is not a permanent fix. This makes is ideal for work people looking to use it once in a while to deal with excess water weight and bloating but not so much for people who might need regular medication to combat water retention.
Since there are different causes for water weight, it’s important to understand what you want from a diuretic before choosing.
There appear to be more products in the line than required. Some of the products are just mild variations of the other. More than a necessary amount of products can be confusing if you’re not really sure of the difference and your needs.
Pamabrom and Caffeine are standard ingredients that are safe to take. Pamabrom doesn’t really have any side effects but it is important to make sure you are not allergic to Pamabrom to help avoid an allergic reaction.
Caffeine, on the other hand, is also safe to take in the dosages that the pills recommend. Caffeine sensitivity can cause feelings of being jittery and a few other results of caffeine’s stimulant properties. Another point to note when picking the right formulation for you is that caffeine is a good diuretic but pamabrom is typically more effective.
Giving Diurex a shot is fairly harmless especially if you’re looking to treat temporary water weight. If you are looking to treat water weight as a side effect of an ongoing medical condition and want to treat water retention regularly, then Diurex is not the product for you.
There are other kinds of diuretics on the market and it is important to know which one fits your needs. If combining Diurex with other medication, consult your doctor first to avoid any unpleasant medication interactions.
Alexa Bauer has a Master’s degree in nutrition from the University of Maryland and works as a full-time researcher at Swol Headquarters. Alexa Bauer spends her spare time blogging about cardiovascular health and nutrition. She’s specialized in weight loss.