Introduction to the Weight Bench
This is a workout bench used for weight training and contains a high capacity array of equipment that can be used to train every muscle in the body. It also consists of upper body strength training exercises whereby one presses a weight upwards from a downward position.
Before weight benches were invented people used to do chest presses on the floor which wasn’t proper and could lead to muscle injury.
As much as it resembles a park bench it can be used to perform exercises such as chest presses etc. It is ideal for bodybuilders because can be able to do bench presses and dumbbell exercises on it but also female athletes can benefit from it because it offers abdominal workouts.
There are certain exercises which one might be able to perform on the weight bench. These include;
- Chest presses
- Seated shoulder press
- Triceps press
- Seated bicep curls
- Leg extension
They come in various designs which include;
- Fixed horizontal
- Fixed in a folded position
- Fixed inclined
Features of a weight bench
- Has to be well built with heavy gauge and steel tubing to ensure one is stable to prevent falling or tripping while performing various workouts.
- Have firm upholstery and padding to provide comfort and support when lifting heavy weights.
- Can be adjusted
- Ideal for all users
- Wide base for complete support
- Have a good weight load
- Portable to minimize space
- Style of the weight bench
Benefits of a weight bench
- Reduces the risk of injury and offers longevity of muscles by ensuring that the body flows in a more natural path using free weights.
- More versatile because one can use barbell and dumbbells for more exercise options.
- Essential for a home gym because it saves space and time in a gym subscription.
- Enable one to focus on hard muscles at different angles of the body and ensures maximum strength.
- Helps in building leaner muscles in the upper and lower body.
- Helps one maintain a proper form while lifting weights and increase efficiency.
- Reduces stress levels and depression when a user uses it for 2 to 4 days a week because it makes the body release endorphins which acts as a stimulant and relaxes the body.
- Helps increase bone density, lung capacity and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Enhances and tones one’s muscles.
- Excellent for people who want to regulate their posture.
- Great for people who want to start to do weight training.
- They offer excellent core and lumbar support enabling one to maintain focus on the working muscles.
Types of Weight Benches
There are various types of weight benches which consist of;
- Preacher curl bench
- Olympic weight bench
- Abdominal bench
- Adjustable weight bench
- Flat bench
- Folding weight bench
- Specialist bench
Preacher Curl Bench
- Used specifically for building muscles and biceps.
- Contains an elbow handle whereby one positions their forearm and a seat where a user sits while doing the exercises to develop and increase muscle mass.
- They target the lower part of one’s muscles.
- Can be performed in conjunction with a dumbbell or a barbell while standing or sitting.
- Examples of preacher curl workout bench are Titan preacher curl training bench, X Mark FID weight bench with preacher curl.
Olympic Weight Bench
- Enables one to focus on hard muscles at different angles while toning up the body.
- Helps one maintain a proper form whilst lifting weight by increasing efficiency.
- Essential for a home gym because it saves time and money in gym subscription.
- Mostly used by advanced trainers
- Contain a small rack to support the bars
- Requires no maintenance.
- Comes with a variety of storage discs and weights.
- Examples of Olympic weight benches include Competitor Olympic bench, Best fitness Olympic workout bench with leg developer.
Abdominal Workout Bench
- Suitable to perform abs exercises
- Contains foot rollers to lock one’s feet and protect from injuries.
Adjustable Weight Bench
- Has a frame designed with two different types of mechanisms for adjustment purposes?
- Great for people looking to start doing weight training.
- Not recommended for people who love lifting heavy weights
- Can be used with dumbbells and bars
- Can be combined with multi-station machines to provide a variety of training.
- Flexible and allow users to do a lot of exercises by adjusting to one’s needs accordingly.
Flat Workout Bench
- Mostly used for strength training, for example, the flat workout bench presses
- Has a fixed position to ensure stability.
- Has a lower center of gravity to ensure security.
- Can be used to work on the chest, triceps, and shoulders.
- One of the most popular weight benches.
Folding weight bench
- It is adjustable because it can fold
- Saves space
Specialist Weight Bench
- Used in training specific muscle groups
- Perfect for insulation of some muscles eg biceps, leg stretches, quads etc.
Advantages of a Weight Bench
- They help in building and toning the upper body
- Can be used to build muscles because some benches are high capacity
- Are adjustable and can perform incline and decline exercises.
- Are very versatile and can perform full body workout and body weight exercises.
- Reduces stress and depression
- Offers core support
- Can reduce injury when performed well.
Disadvantages of a Weight Bench
- Some weight benches are too limiting.
- Some benches one has to purchase additional to work on them, for example, free weights and dumbbells.
- Some have a weight limit
Examples of Weight Benches Found at Amazon
- Bowflex Select Tech 5.1 Adjustable Bench
- Ironmaster super bench
- Power block sports workout bench
- Body solid powerline folding bench
- Marcy adjustable utility workout bench
Bowflex Select Tech 5.1 Adjustable Weight Bench
- It is an adjustable workout bench
- Offers a full range of exercises
- Comes in six different angles and can adjust to two different positions
- It is sturdy and firm
- Ensures maximum support and comfort because it can adjust to a comfortable position.
- Constructed with the best high-quality steel material which makes it a heavy duty workout bench.
- Can be wiped and cleaned because it has a durable material.
- Can be dismantled and adjusted to offer support on a reclined position.
- Easy to assemble and the manufacturer offers a 30-year warranty on the upholstery.
- Has inbuilt wheels making it more portable.
- Costs around 230 dollars on Amazon.
Iron Master Super Weight Bench
- Has a high weight capacity and can be used by weightlifters.
- Targets every muscle in the body that’s why it comes in different angles.
- Uses a foot lever to adjust to different positions without bending.
- Can be adjusted and dismantled and if bought with an attachment it can be used to perform decline weight bench press.
- Each piece has been built with the high-quality material to last over a
- Has a 10-year warranty which covers a mechanical aspect of the bench
- Costs about 319 dollars at Amazon
Power Block Sport Workout Bench
- Manufactured with heavy-duty steel making it strong and sturdy.
- Can support weight up to 550 pounds
- Has inbuilt wheels making it mobile and portable.
- Has a wide backrest which can support a range if body types.
- Has an adjustable seat pad
- Have comfortable cushions and one can perform an array of exercises.
- Easy to clean because the padded top is made of vinyl
- Can adjust to five positions including military, flat etc.
- Costs about 188 dollars in Amazon.
Body Solid PowerLine Folding Workout Bench
- Can be adjusted to different angles and do various workouts eg flat press, incline, decline press and shoulder press by targeting various muscles.
- Comes already assembled by the manufacturer.
- Can be folded and unfolded
- Costs around 160 dollars at Amazon.
Marcy Adjustable Utility Workout Bench
- Has a transport handle for easy transport.
- It is affordable and conserves space.
- Has a thick padding making one feel comfortable when doing workouts.
- Can be adjusted into three positions and can also be adjusted into flat position.
- Available in Amazon at only 123 dollars
Conclusion on a weight bench
A weight bench is an ideal equipment for a user who wants to start weight training because it works on different aspects of the body, by helping one maintain physical fitness. It is essential to have at least one weight bench in order to assist you in your exercise rendezvous for the benefit of your body. So buy one today and exercise the right way.
Scott Williams has a Master’s Degree in Nutrition and is a Certified Personal Trainer. Apart from being an integral part of our research team, Scott Williams spends almost every single minute he can get in the gym. He has vast experience in matters supplements, diets, and workouts.