What are Knee Braces?
A knee brace is a sports accessory that is fashioned to aid the knee. It is designed to protect the knee from future injury or risk of damage. This is crucial for a knee which is put under pressure on a daily basis from activities such as weightlifting, running or jumping.
They add compression to the knee that helps to increase the blood flow and reduce pain during and after the performance. They also aid in resulting in less pain and swelling of the knee after a strenuous workout or performance.
Sleeves are usually made of neoprene which is very effective in giving the needed compression for a fatigued muscle or joint around the knee area. The tired joints and muscles need a lot of oxygen to recover, meaning the blood flow should be enough for the oxygen to be transported to the vital area.
Some of the sports and activities that one may see a knee sleeve being used are as follows:
- Olympic lifting
- Crossfit (this is the most crucial activity that uses it)
- Sports like running and Rugby
Features of a Knee Sleeve
Knee sleeves are made from different types of materials. Here are some of the materials that are commonly used by manufacturers in making them.
- Cloth sleeves – They provide the needed compression and some warmth to the knee.
- Neoprene sleeves – They provide some warmth and at the same time help in preventing any injury from occurring by providing a mild compression to the knee and the joint.
- Knee wraps – These type of sleeves provide extreme compression and are usually worn for a performance of given antibiotics to give the support that is much needed.
Knee sleeves can be placed into three categories. They include;
- Open sleeves – These have holes at the front which helps in reducing pressure through the kneecap and allows the knee to breathe.
- Inbuilt stabilizers – These provide extra support for the knee ligaments since they have side stabilizers
- Closed sleeves – These sleeves helping to support the entire knee and allow more heat to be retained in the knee.
Things to consider when purchasing a knee brace.
Stability and Material
The material will influence the stability of the sleeve. Commonly the material used for the knee braces is neoprene composed of various types of synthetic rubbers. The material has the ability to remain flexible and stable over time.
Mobility and Rigidity
A thicker sleeve will many times limit the mobility and provide more support throughout movements. Thinner sleeves will encourage mobility. Material plays a major role in determining what function a certain type will give.
Sleeves were initially used for warmth before being used for support and other functions. The type of materials used will determine the ability to provide the needed warmth to the user.
Make and Durability
The material used to make the knee sleeves will determine the durability of the sleeve. The construction of the sleeve and the structure is vital in giving the needed support.
There are many knee brace designs. To name a few, they are as follows: cylinder, tapered and panel
- Tapered fit – This is the most common. It has a standard fitting sleeve. It can be used in a variety of sports.
- Cylinder-esque design – This is commonly used in more firm sleeves
- Four panel – This is the least common of the three. It has multiple pieces of materials sewn together into one sleeve.
Below are some examples of knee sleeves brands available at Amazon.
Sable Knee Brace
These sleeves fit tightly around the knee due to their anti-slip design. This is so that they always stay in the same spot no matter the activity being done.
They have a wider coverage to help in distribution of pressure evenly across the knee. They stretch above and below the knee giving the equal distribution of pressure all around.
They provide extra knee support for all the sports activities one can venture into be it running, basketball, football, volleyball, tennis, weightlifting and many more.
Uflex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve
They have optimal compression which improves muscular endurance and protects the knee. They reduce inflammation and swelling of the knee and stimulate the blood flow around the knee area and promote quick recovery from any strain.
These sleeves provide pain relief and support any knee injury by preventing it from future injury and risk of damage.
Their 3D knitting technology is not only fashionable and stylish but also elastic which helps the knee compression sleeve to have support with the capability to stretch in 4 ways, offering an all-around protection. This is suitable especially for runners, weightlifters and professional athletes.
They have an anti-slip silicone that provides the perfect grip so as to avoid re-adjusting it during performances. They do not roll, slide or slip down. The sleeve aid people who are recovering such as runners, jumpers and also people with arthritis.
Copper Fit Pro Series Knee Compression Sleeves
These sleeves have a compression technology which is used to help in relieving soreness and reduce the recovery.
The sleeves have an infused cover which reduces the odor of garments because of the cover ions bound to the fibers that make the sleeve.
These types of sleeves help prevent the strain and fatigue by keeping the muscles warm. They improve the circulation and distribution of oxygen around the muscles on the leg. They also help to reduce the recovery time of muscles and support muscles stiffness, soreness and pain.
Mava Sports Knee Compression Sleeve Support
These types of sleeves help to reduce inflammation and swelling associated with injuries. They aid people with arthritis, joint pain, and tendinitis among others. The sleeves are anatomically shaped to help in preventing injuries and accelerate recovery. Their heating effect help to improve circulation of blood and this promotes muscular recovery.
These sleeves are mostly used for rehabilitation and recovery.
Rehband 7mm Knee Sleeves
These types of sleeves give reinforcement all the way around the knee allowing a range of motion to take place.
The sleeves help the user to feel more confident and secure during any activity performed and at the same time provide support and comfort by being flexible to allow movements.
The compression they give acts as a support and also provides warmth which helps relieve pressure and swelling all around the knees.
Benefits of Wearing a Knee Brace
Wearing a knee sleeve can be very beneficial when performing some exercises. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Prevention of injury – if a person is frequently performing activities that have a high impact on the knee, they should consider wearing a knee brace help in preventing them from getting any injury.
- Provides better support – some injuries which may have occurred earlier can be supported by the knee sleeves hence preventing further damage to the knee.
- Provides warmth – during the cold months, wearing a knee brace can help by adding some warmth to the leg area which also helps the joint to be lubricated and warm. The sleeves provide some warmth and allow the knee to have efficient blood flow.
- Knee sleeves help in providing warmth in the knee which aids in rejuvenating a strained joint.
- They can be worn as fashion accessories. Some people wear them when going to the gym or even just for fun as an accessory to look cool.
- They support the knee when performing strenuous activities and exercises.
- They act as a preventative measure from getting injured.
Disadvantages of Using a Knee brace
- Some brands that make the knee brace sell them at a high price which makes some of them be expensive in comparison to other brands.
- Some knee sleeves such as neoprene sleeves can accumulate certain smell after a few training sessions of using them which might be uncomfortable for the wearer.
- They might be addictive. If a person has gotten used to wearing the knee sleeves, they may become dependent on them and this may lead to their addiction.
- There is a perception that once someone wears a knee sleeves, they will automatically improve their techniques and make them better in whatever sport they partake which is wrong.
- They cannot be used to fix an already damaged or unstable knee since it does not work the same way as a knee brace.
Knee braces are supports to be worn when the knee is paining or recovering from a previous injury. They are made from a combination of metal, plastic, foam or elastic material and straps. Some are usually used right after an injury or surgery. They keep the knee stable by only allowing minimal movement so as to aid in the healing process of the leg. Poorly positioned braces can do further damage and harm the leg instead of aiding in its healing if not checked regularly.
Reasons Why One Should Buy a knee brace
Amazon is a trusted site and one is guaranteed they won’t get conned off their money when making a purchase.
The quality of items sold at Amazon is good which will be durable for a very long time.
The delivery period of orders is less compared to other sites.
There is a wide variety to choose from which makes online shopping experience fun.
Pricing of the Knee Brace
The prices of knee brace on Amazon are quite fair. They range from $5 up to $50 depending on the quality and brand. You can get to choose from the wide variety provided at the site and the one which is customized according to your needs.
Conclusion on Knee Brace
Although knee sleeves are important for the knee, they are not a must to use. A person’s circumstances will determine the need to use one. Also, since there are various types of sleeves, it is best to consider the features of each type of knee sleeves and what they offer so as to make the right choice when purchasing one. This will go a long way in ensuring that it serves the right purpose intended for them as well as help you in your training, exercises or healing process.
Scott Williams has a Master’s Degree in Nutrition and is a Certified Personal Trainer. Apart from being an integral part of our research team, Scott Williams spends almost every single minute he can get in the gym. He has vast experience in matters supplements, diets, and workouts.