What is Magnesium Glycinate?
Magnesium is one of the most important minerals in the body because it helps to maintain a lot of bodily processes. Magnesium is used in the human body to help in the production of ATP used for power cells. It is said that only 30-40% of magnesium found in the food sources is used and absorbed that is why it is very important to boost your levels of magnesium through supplements such as Magnesium Glycinate.
When people don’t get enough magnesium through the natural ways such as eating foods such as whole grains, green leafy vegetables, legumes and milk products it might lead to a deficiency. Some health conditions may lead to people not being able to produce enough magnesium in their bodies and affects how they absorb magnesium and might need a boost from supplements they include people with diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, kidney disease and people with high thyroid hormone levels.
There are also some lifestyles that decrease the magnesium levels in the body such as eating too much food rich in sodium, drinking too much caffeine and alcohol, heavy menstrual periods, stress and excessive sweating. Lack of magnesium can cause a lot of health problems they include; weak bones and muscles, insulin resistance, fatigue, hypertension, lack of aerobic endurance, depression, sleep problems.
An average person has 25 grams of magnesium in their body and it’s found within tissues such as bones and cartilage and 1% of it is left in the bloodstream to be used to perform and an array of enzymatic and cellular processes.
Magnesium Glycinate is a mineral supplement used to prevent and treat low amounts of magnesium in the body. It is magnesium bonded with glycine which is a non-essential amino acid meaning that the body can produce it and other outside sources are not required because it is produced in the liver and it is the smallest of the amino acids and it’s the building block for other amino acids. Amino acids are elements of the body’s protein molecules. Glycine is an acid that helps in the production and regulation of collagen a body enzyme that repairs injuries in the tendons and ligaments. Also helps in the production of hemoglobin which is of good quality and is used to produce the red blood cells.
When the mineral is bonded it increases the rate at which it is absorbed in the small intestine into the bloodstream and when a person ingests it the cellular metabolism increases and are enhanced. Magnesium Glycinate doses are taken and given according to the age, gender, and physiological conditions.
Features of Magnesium Glycinate
- It provides nutritional support for healthy muscles function
- It is carefully designed and bonded
- It contains Activ Tab TM technology to help in digestion
- Can be digested by people who don’t take gluten, dairy, soy or non-GMO.
- It is not buffered and does not have inexpensive magnesium oxide
- Made with highly absorbable magnesium
- Help prevent muscle cramps and reduce tightness and tension which can affect the workout.
- Doesn’t depend on stomach acid to be absorbed
- Contains active enzymes that help in cardiac and neuromuscular contraction.
- Helps in producing energy and utilizing the calcium, phosphorous, sodium and potassium.
- Made with pure ingredients to offer fast and effective delivery to cells.
- Offers bioavailability of magnesium to the body
- Improves muscle growth and help in delivering calcium to the teeth and body.
- Supports healthy blood pressure and sugar levels.
- Ensures a healthy heart rhythm.
- Helps the body prevent a calcium and plaque buildup in the arterial wall
- Help the enzymes break down sugars, carbohydrates, and fats into energy
- Offers nutritional support to the body
What to Note about Magnesium Glycinate
- Helps prevent muscle cramps
- Increases testosterone levels by creating and regulating the hormones.
- Helps prevent eclampsia and pre-eclampsia in pregnancy by lowering the blood pressure.
- Improve lung function and reduce asthmatic attacks.
- Helps the body improve bowel movements by reducing constipation
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Can be used as a muscle relaxant
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps to improve the function of antioxidants
- Helps in the conversion of food into energy
- Helps in speeding up a chemical reaction in the human body to ensure that the body is efficient and effective in helping cell division and energy production to proceed smoothly.
- Helps in reducing pre-menstrual symptoms
- Helps in reducing abnormal heart rhythms
- Helps improve anxiety and insomnia
- Helps the brain to relax because of the presence of glycine.
- Improves metabolism with the help of a balanced diet and lifestyle.
- Boosts the body’s ability to increase muscle and lose fat through physical exercises.
- Improves aerobic performance and endurance
- Improves and boosts mental performance by ensuring that the brain is healthy
- Improves frequency of migraines that are caused by low levels of magnesium in the bloodstream
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis by ensuring that you develop healthy bones reducing the risk of bone fractures.
- Helps to break down sugar and reduce the risk of insulin resistance
- Helps to decrease blood pressure in small quantities as prescribed by the doctor
- Increases serotonin levels for people who are going through depression because serotonin helps to boost one’s moods levels
Advantages of Magnesium Glycinate
- Helps improve and protect the neural function by extending the longevity of certain cells in the brain.
- May help improve ADHD symptoms in children
- Reduces cortisol levels and normalizes sleep patterns
- Improves anxiety attacks
- May enhance levels of a brain-derived neurotrophic factor which helps in memory formation and learning ability
- Help reduce the frequency and intensity of migraines
- Increases serotonin levels which helps people suffering from depression
- Helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis by helping develop strong healthy bones and increase higher bone mineral density.
- Helps break down blood sugars and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Helps to decrease blood pressure
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Can help reduce free fatty acids and triglycerides in the blood and fat cells.
- Helps to block oxidant production by kupffer cells which help in the reduction of liver cancer cell production.
- Helps in the production of collagen
- Helps reduce blood alcohol level and damaging effects of alcohol
- Decreases pre-menstrual symptoms
- Helps to synthesize proteins DNA and RNA
- Helps transport calcium and potassium ions across cell walls
- May be used as a laxative and antacid
- Help in maintaining magnesium levels that reduce with age
Disadvantages of Magnesium Glycinate
- May induce diarrhea and cause gastrointestinal distress
- May also cause potential thyroid disruption
Solaray Magnesium Glycinate 400 mg – Provides the body with nutritive support for normal muscle and health function and can be used as a dietary supplement. It offers magnesium that is of high quality and contains organic and non-GMO ingredients
KAL Magnesium Glycinate 400mg – It contains a vegetarian formula which helps in the quick absorption of the tablets. Provides nutritive support for normal healthy muscles and may be used to optimize daily energy levels and performance. It is of high quality and manufactured according to the latest GMP standards.
Pure Encapsulations – Magnesium (Glycinate) – It is a hypoallergenic product suitable for people who are sensitive and is made from pure ingredients with active enzymes for physiological functions such in the regulation of acid and alkaline balance in the body. It helps in energy production and also utilization of calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium.
Metagenics-Magnesium Glycinate – Manufactured to help absorb magnesium faster and help muscles to relax and prevent muscle cramps and support the nervous system and doesn’t require stomach acid to be absorbed. It is gluten-free and non-GMO and may be used by vegetarians.
Douglas Laboratories Magnesium Glycinate – Manufactured using high-quality materials and can be used as a dietary supplement to provide support in filling nutrient gaps in adults and also help in maintaining normal heart function, muscle and bone strength.
How to Use this Product
- Magnesium Glycinate can be taken through the mouth with a full glass of water and the tablet is swallowed not crushed or chewed because one might increase the risk of side effects. It is best taken with a meal to reduce stomach upset unless directed otherwise by a doctor
- If taking the liquid version make sure you use a measuring device in order to measure the right amount of dose and ensure not to use household utensils such as spoons. If it is a suspension shake the bottle well before use.
- The supplement should be taken regularly at the same time and do not increase the dosage just follow the doctor’s prescription or the product package.
The supplements cost between 15 dollars to 200 dollars depending on the manufacturer. You can check out more information about the price range on the Amazon site in order to compare and decide on the one that best suits you.
Conclusion on Magnesium Glycinate
Magnesium deficiency is one of the most common deficiencies in the world and magnesium is one of the most crucial minerals to the body it is recommended that one gets a supplement to add to the magnesium-rich food sources for your body to function at optimum levels.
Sol Ruiz heads our Research Digest department. He graduated from the New York University where he obtained his Master’s Degree in Public Health.