PRESERVISION VITAMIN AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENT
Multivitamins or mineral supplements are a mixture of minerals and vitamins. There are other ingredients included in them too. Multivitamins are popularly known to satiate the amount of nutrients needed by our body. Having good food does not always cover all the nutrition that our body requires to maintain good health. In such cases additional supplements are required to meet what our body requires. Of course, one should always be careful not to take too much of these supplements, otherwise it can cause adverse effects on the body. Only the recommended amount should be consumed. Multivitamins and mineral supplements contain nutrients such as Vitamin A, iron, folic acid, niacin, lutein, zinc, zeaxanthin and others.
PRESERVISION AREDS 2 FORMULA
Bausch and Lomb PreserVision Eye Vitamin and Mineral: ARED 2 Formula, is a supplement that helps in enhancing the strength of your eyes. The quality ingredients in this product provides essential mineral and vitamin nutrients. It protects the eye from degenerative eye sight problems like AMD. It is known to improve eye sight.
The ingredients that the product contains are listed below:
Lutein- In human diet lutein plays an important role. It is a yellow colored xanthophyll. It can be synthesized and produced only by plants. Green leafy vegetables and orange-yellow fruits like sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, turnip and spinach are rich in lutein content. Lutin is known to be extracted from the marigold petals of Africa. Tagetes Erecta is the plant’s name. They are also used in food supplements as additives. Lutein amongst 600 other xanthophylls is a natural carotenoid. They are also derived from animals who are mainly herbivores. In humans lutein play a significant role, as they have antioxidizing properties that are beneficial for the eye retina. This is one reason why lutein is used in supplements like PreserVision ARED 2. Lutein and its isomer zeaxanthin is absorbed by the retina from blood. It has light absorbing properties which can strengthen eye functions. It is in the macula where lutein is mainly concentrated. It effectively helps in absorbing the high energy blue light photons and aids to reduce oxidative stress. Can you believe, a small area of the retina containing lutein is responsible of regulating our vision of three primary colors. Hence, lutein together with zeaxanthin is used in food and eye gel supplements as a colorant.
Zeaxanthin- It is the sister xanthophyll to luthein. It is one of the most common and natural carotenoid alcohols. It is a pigment that gives characteristic color to paprika, wolfberries, saffron, corn and many other plants and microbes. The benefits of it remains scientifically unproven. Zeaxanthin is also a food dye as a food additive.
Vitamins, Zinc & Copper-
Vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc and copper had a 25 percent reduced risk of advanced AMD during a six-year period. Studies have also shown that a combination of lutein and vitamin C can improve and prolong good vision. It may help in getting rid of retinitis pigmentosa. Those who take daily supplements like PreserVision have experienced the benefits of it. It helps to slow down the peripheral vision.
Vitamin E content in PreserVision works as a potential antioxidant. Studies have shown that Vitamin E can reduce age-related macular degeneration(AMD) amongst people showing premature signs of eye diseases. In an Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS), involving almost 5000 participants, proved that people consuming supplements containing vitamin E has reduced risk of developing advanced level of eye diseases. Based on other studies many doctors recommend patient to have multivitamins , that contain 400 IU of vitamin E content. Many AREDS supplement contain high level of vitamin A as beta-carotene. But in the latest alternative of PreserVision ARED2, beta-carotene has been removed. Only Vitamin E and C has been included in the supplement, together with lutein, zinc, copper and others. Zinc content in PreserVision ARED2, helps vitamin A to create melanin, a pigment which protects the eye. Zinc improves night vision. 11 milligrams of zinc per day for men and 8 milligrams for women is beneficial not only for eyesight but also for overall health. Copper too inhibits the development of macular degeneration. The primary role of copper is to serve as an enzyme component.
BENEFITS OF PRESERVISION ARED2 FORMULA
- Slows Down Macular Degeneration– Age Related Eye Disease study conducted in 2013, showed that supplements containing lutein and zeaxanthin with no beta-carotene content and low zinc content has proved effective in slowing down macular degeneration. High dosage of beta-carotene had been formerly linked to risks of causing lung cancers in smokers. And so lutein and zeaxanthin replaced beta-carotene in the latest formulations of the supplement. In the United States, age related macular degeneration is the primary cause behind vision loss. It was in 2006, when NIH National Institute conducted a second study called ARED2 to see whether supplement formulations could be improved.
- Lower Risk of Cataract Development- Preliminary studies have proved that increased intake of lutein and zeaxanthin lowers the risk of developing cataract. 13 to 15 years of data collected on daily consumption of such supplement have shown that their has been a reduce in cases of nuclear lens opacities and blurred vision.
- Decreases Light Sensitivity- A clinical trial conducted in 2016 proved that people who consume 10 milligrams of lutein and 2 milligrams of zeaxanthin daily for a year, had lower incidences of light sensitivity. Their visual performance had improved.
SAFETY AND CAUTION
Based on a non-government organisation evaluation, the Observed Safe Level of consuming lutein is 20 milligrams per day. One cannot be sure whether it’s safe to take higher doses for a prolonged period of time. The European Food Safety Authority and the U.S Food and Drug Administration have not given any importance to this.
- There can be allergic reactions.
- Lutein can cause skin bronzing. The condition is called carotenodermia.
- You may feel certain tightness in your throat or chest. You may have trouble breathing. You might wheeze without having fever. There might be swellings on the face, lips and mouth.
- Unusual hoarseness is another side-effect.
- Upset stomach and vomiting.
- You may have loose stools (diarrhea) and hard stools (constipation).
- Numbness and tingling sensations .
- Weakness of the Muscle.
If you have other queries regarding the side- effects of the product you may consult your personal doctor. If you experience a side-effect after the product use you may report the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or you may mail at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Our eyes are delicate and undoubtedly one of the most important sense organs. There shouldn’t be any recklessness regarding it. PreserVision AREDS 2 Formula presents itself to be a good supplement and it is also recommended by eye specialists. But not much is known about the product. The only guarantee is the reputed brand to which it belongs, Bausch and Lomb. The nutrients including lutein and zeaxanthin is recommended by the National Eye Institute. That is one good reason for being assured of PreserVision Mulvitamin product. It is available at an affordable price in the markets and online. In Amazon the price is $29.87 to $31.49 and the product has received 4.7 stars out 5.