TRADITIONAL THROAT COAT TEA INTRODUCTION
Throat coat tea is a caffeine free herbal tea, which is made from the bark of slippery elm and licorice root. Since ancient times elm barks are used for homeopathic treatment. The red elm bark is collected widely throughout southern Midwest. The collectors do all the hard work to ensure the quality of the ingredients. It is a delicate practice that requires a lot of patience and endurance. It is beneficial for sore throat and digestive problems. The thick slimy viscous blended with marshmallow and licorice root soothes and comforts the vocal cords. It clears the itchiness from the throat. This is the reason why singers, actors and public speakers love throat coat traditional tea. Throat coat tea is known to have medicinal properties. It is more like a demulcent, such as honey, which is a thick liquid that can soothe the soreness of the throat. Drinking such tea coat can also give relief from cool, chilly and damp weather or on days when you have exhausted your vocal cords. Traditional Medicinal Tea Coat comes with a variety of flavors such as Ginger Aid, Mother’s Milk, Echinacea Plus, Nighty Night, Breathe Easy, Smooth Move and many others. All the herbal resource forests are sustainably managed.
HOW TO PREPARE?
To enjoy throat coat tea first boil 8 oz of fresh water and put in one tea bag. Cover the cup and keep it for 10 to 15 minutes. To make it more tasty you can add honey and you may squeeze the tea bag a little more. Twice a cup daily is good enough to consume.
All the ingredients are herbal properties. It consists of organic licorice root, which is 38 percent Fair Wild Certified, slippery red elm bark, organic licorice dry root aqueous extract, marshmallow root, proprietary blend of organic wild cherry bark called prunus serotina, organic cinnamon bark, sweet orange peel and fennel fruit.
BENEFITS OF THE INGREDIENTS IN THROAT COAT TEA
Boosts the Immune System-Tea generally contains antioxidants which help in healing injured tissues. It boosts your immune system and energizes you. Some herbal blends in teas have anti-inflammatory properties that shall reduce muscle soreness, pain and swelling.
Soothes Stomach Ailments- Licorice root extracts in throat coat tea help to improve gastrointestinal ailments. This ingredient helps to restore balance. In issues of food poisoning, heartburn, stomach ulcers etc, licorice root extract speeds up recovery of the stomach lining.
Licorice root is also called glycyrrhiza glabra. It is a moistening herb and is sweet in taste. It is called so, because it contains an acid called glycyrrhizic. This acid is helpful in suppressing toxic bacteria called H. Pylori and also has anti-inflammatory properties. a study has found that glycyrrhizic acid can prevent the growth of H. Pylori in the gut. A naturopathic and acupuncture doctor, named Michael Tierra said that licorice root extract is an effective treatment for duodenal ulcer. It can strengthen the overall immune system.
- Reduces Stress- In this modern fast paced world stress and anxiety are common and most alarming issues. Too much work load or other reasons can stimulate stress. Increased amount of stress can lead to secretion of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. Constant secretion of these hormones due to stress can exhaust the adrenal gland and can make you feel sick and low in energy. Licorice supplements can relieve the adrenal gland and reduce stress.
- Improves the Respiratory System- Licorice root extract in the tea can improve breathing problems. Upper respiratory tract infections and cold cough can be treated. Intake of licorice orally aids the body to produce healthy mucus. The healthy phlegm improves the functioning of the respiratory system and prevents clogging of the mucus, providing overall relief.
- Improves Liver Function- According to the herbalist and naturopathic doctor named Sharol Tilger, licorice root extracts in tea can improve liver conditions such as hepatitis and high secretion of liver enzymes. It helps to detoxify the liver and treats chronic syndrome.
- A Potent Herb for Women- Studies have shown that licorice can be an effective estrogen replacement component, especially for post menopausal women. In the published research ‘Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology’, licorice root is known to prevent cardiovascular diseases and problems in women post menopause, due to its estrogenic properties. Another journal called ‘Molecular Nutrition and Food Research’ has found a component called glabridin in licorice root tea products. Glabridin has anti-cancerous properties in them, especially that of breast cancer. It is helpful in preventing angiogenesis, meaning that it resists the migration of cancerous cells into the breast tissues.
SIDE EFFECTS OF LICORICE EXTRACT IN THROAT COAT TEA
The Licorice root extract is apparently added for sweetness in traditional tea products. One should be cautious about the quantity of its intake. If licorice content is ingested for a prolonged period of time then it might put strain on the kidneys. This might further increase your blood pressure. Potassium content in the body might get wasted. One may feel the need to urinate frequently. Licorice’s main constituent is glycyrrhiza, which can cause edema and potassium loss and other serious side effects. People who have pre-conditioned illness related to the heart, blood pressure, liver cirrhosis or some kidney disease should avoid increasing amount of intake of such teas. Advised by the FDA, women who are pregnant or breast feeding should also avoid it. People suffering from hypertension should also avoid drinking such herbal teas. Loss of potassium content from the body can weaken your muscles and you may lack energy. People who ingest diuretics, corticosteroids or cardiac glycosides should also beware. People who are allergic to Apiaceae plant like coriander and fennel should resist consuming such tea products. Children under the age of 12 are not recommended to consume these products. Studies on some human subjects showed that consuming licorice tea, over a two week period, caused metabolic abnormalities and fluid retention issues.
The labels on tea products containing licorice root extracts warn the consumers about the side effects. Though the product claims to be “clinical tested”, no information or evidence regarding it is available on the official website.
Herbal tea products are usually available at a considerable price in the markets and online. Traditional Throat Coat Tea contain 16 bags of tea. It is available at $22.74 ($3.35 / Ounce) on Amazon. The prices may vary from time to time. 16 tea bags of Traditional Medicinal Organic Chamomile Tea is available at $23.94($3.53 / Ounce), Traditional Medicinal Organic Nighty Night Valerian Tea at $3.99($4.69 /Ounce).
Customers have given 4.7 stars out of 5 in Amazon. Some of the top reviews are:
- “This brand and varieties of herbal teas have been a life saver for me this winter. Seems like I have been catching every virus going around but these teas have been a great comfort to me.”
- “I sing in a rock band and my voice often takes a beating. I try to drink tea before and after practice and shows and my friend recommended me Throat Coat. This stuff is amazing, I don’t drink anything else now. it’s got a pretty good taste too.”