What is Tudca?
Our body is like a machine. It has to be taken care of over a regular interval of time and this adds up to its longevity. As the day starts, we have to look after a lot of things and have to finish up the never ending list of work. The day just goes into running from here to there and at the end of the day, we are just exhausted. Because of the hectic work schedule and hundreds of other reason we go through stressful situations. Well, I guess that I don’t have to explain how stress takes a toll on your health leading to a lot of health conditions.
We should make sure that we take care of ourselves and avoid unhealthy stressful situations. But what done is done, because of a lot of factors we suffer from various health conditions. We have to take various medications prescribed from the doctor to get better. Today we are going to talk about a product which will help us in making amends to our body!
Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid (Tauro-Deoxy-Cholic) is commonly known as TUDCA. It is a derivative of a secondary bile salt secreted from the liver. When bile salts created by the liver reach the intestines, they can be converted into UDCA i.e. ursodeoxycholic acid by intestinal bacteria. The product is created when a taurine molecule is added to the structure. Both of these related molecules are known as hydrophilic bile acids. Humans are found to have traces of TUDCA. However, bears contain large amounts of the product in their bile. TUDCA is a water soluble bile acid formed by combining Ursodeoxycholic Acid and Taurine.
TUDCA was first synthetically developed in Japan in 1954. Over the years, it has developed a reputation as a liver cleansing supplement, helping in protecting the liver. But it’s not the only reason why it’s famous; it has more benefits than it has to say. TUDCA has been used in ancient Asian pharmacopoeias for its supposed beneficial effects. Ongoing research is finding TUDCA has diminishing apoptotic effects, helping with cardiac function, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and stoke. Recently, it has been found to have protective effects in the eye, above all helping in the retinal degenerative disorders. TUDCA is FDA approved for treatment of liver diseases caused by lack of bile flow which is known as Cholestasis. It increases glucose induced insulin release which increases insulin sensitivity. It helps in reducing cell death which is known as Apoptosis in healthy cells. TUDCA also removes toxic bile acids from liver and prevents them from damaging liver cells.
Studies related to TUDCA:
- A study was done of 150 patients where it was found that TUDCA was more effective than placebo and was gradually improving chronic hepatitis over the six months trial.
- In one study done on 12 women with PCB i.e. Primary Biliary Cirrhosis; it’s an auto immune disease which destroys the bile ducts, TUDCA reduced liver enzymes by 51%.
- A study of 5 liver disease patients found that 10-13 mg of TUDCA daily for three months was able to reduce the liver enzyme alanine transaminase (ALT) levels.
TUDCA decreases the liver enzyme levels even at low doses.
- A study was published in 2010 from Spain in Cell death and disease was set out to evaluate the effects of TUDCA during partial hepatectomy .i.e. partial liver removal of fatty (steatotic liver) and non fatty livers (non steatotic liver). It is common for both steatotic and non-steatotic livers to become damaged and experience a slow and sometimes compromised rate of recovery due to partial hepatectomy. Part of this stress may be due to the drug ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) which is applied to reduce blood flow during surgery. Researchers found that TUDCA has the potential to protect both steatotic (fatty liver) and non-steatotic liver removal using I/R. this protective effect is linked to a reduction of stress on the endoplasmic reticulum in hepatocytes.
- A study published in the journal of Huazhong University of science and technology, evaluated the safety and efficacy of TUDCA in the treatment of liver Cirrhosis i.e. scarring or fibrosis. They determined that TUDCA is safe and more effective that pharmaceutical UDCA for a significant effect on serum liver markers for distant liver fibrosis (which was assumed to be the late stage.)
These were the proven studies related to the product for various health conditions. But the most important factor of any medication is the recommended or prescribed dosages. Here are the standard dosages of TUDCA which are acceptable.
Dosages of TUDCA
TUDCA, if taken 10-13mg, daily has shown to improve liver regenesis rates in a clinically ill population, and may be the lowest estimate of the oral dose.
For improving bile salt composition, around 15-20mg/kg bodyweight TUDCA seems to be best.
For treatment of fatty liver disease, a dose of 1,750mg daily should be taken.
However, the above mentioned dosages may vary according to the severity of the condition for which it is highly advisable to take a qualified physicians advice.
Benefits of TUDCA
- TUDCA helps treat Cholestasis:
Cholestasis is a condition where bile does not flow properly from the liver to the gallbladder and then to the small intestine. This improper flow of bile results in the accumulation of bile in the small intestine. TUDCA reduces Cholestasis caused by liver injury from lack of blood flow.
- TUDCA helps in combating liver Cirrhosis:
Cirrhosis is a condition of the liver where the healthy tissues are replace by the scar tissues. This is a common cause of death and illness. A study was done where it was effective in the treatment of liver cirrhosis in 18 patients with this disease.
- TUDCA helps in treating Hepatitis:
The product prevents the hepatitis B and hepatitis D viruses from infecting cells. It was the most effective among the other bile salts in preventing the hepatitis B from infecting the healthy cells.
- TUDCA helps in protecting the liver from alcohol toxicity:
It helps in protecting the liver cells from the detrimental effects of Acetaldehyde which is responsible for most of the damage in the liver after alcohol consumption.
- It helps in the treatment of gallstones:
Gallstones occur when the digestive fluids harden in the gallbladder. They are really extreme to pass and if they are very big, then they have to be removed surgically.
It doesn’t prevent the formation of the gallstones but helps them in dissolving them which can be passed with less pain.
- TUDCA helps in supporting brain health in Parkinson’s and Huntington’s disease:
It can help in protecting the brain cells from the toxins and degenerative diseases. Because of the presence of 3-nitropropionic acid, Huntington’s disease is induced. While this acid is present in the body it prevents the cell death. Similarly, in the Parkinson’s diseases characterized by low dopamine levels in the brain, it helps in balancing the levels.
Side effects of TUDCA
There are no side effects as such of the product but the common one is suffering from Diarrhea. It is seen if the product dosages are of 1,000-1500mg of TUDCA.
Customer review of TUDCA
“The product has seriously played a huge role in saving my life. If you are taking a lot of supplements or medications or get frequent stomach pains across the upper quadrants or less abuse your liver, try this.”
“I have been taking the product since November 27th, 2014, about 6 months after my Parkinson’s diagnosis. I started with 1000mg of TUDCA plus an assortment of other supplements for alpha-synuclein aggregation and brain inflammation. After about six months, I was not experiencing any symptoms even when tired, stressed or sick. I still have no symptoms. It will be three years this November.”
“My results were amazing and the side effects were essentially nonexistent and I truly think a lot of that had to do with me running this TUDCA as it was really the only thing different I had added to my usual cycle.”
“Anyone with liver issues will benefit from the product. The capsule tastes awful but that’s not really an issue or the manufactures fault, some powder just has a foul taste even in a capsule. I’ve been taking it for 2 weeks now, since taking this my blood work has shown liver values are in normal range.”