What is Magnesium Threonate?
Magnesium is a very important nutrient that the body requires in order to stay healthy. It helps in the regulation of body processes such as bone, blood sugar levels, the functioning of the nerves and muscles, protein-making, DNA and blood pressure. The amount of magnesium that one requires is dependant on age and sex.
Types of Magnesium
There are various types of Magnesium and they include ;
Magnesium reacts with water to form Magnesium Oxide. Mineral waters rich in magnesium help in providing calorie-free magnesium and also contribute to the needed requirements of magnesium in one’s body.
Taurate and Orotate
Magnesium taurate is very important in one’s body because taurine helps the body in transporting magnesium ions in and out of the cells through the cell membranes and can also help in decreasing the pain in muscles.
Derived from citric acid, it is a solution that consists of polyatomic, salts and esters. It is an acid compound that can also be found in citrus fruits, therefore has a sour taste. It is a key intermediate in one’s metabolism, and therefore very important.
Also known as malic acid, it is quite important in biochemistry because it is an organic compound that acts as an intermediate in the cycle of citric acid. Malate can also be found in citrus fruits and therefore generated in the metabolism of the fruit.
This is a compound of chlorine with another group or element such as an organic compound or a salt. Magnesium chloride is very important to your body as it helps in treating the lack of magnesium in the blood. Magnesium chloride can be found in wheatgrass, fresh grass juice, and barley grass.
This is a mineral that occurs naturally and helps in controlling the low blood level of magnesium in one’s body. Seizures can also be prevented through magnesium sulfate injection as well as toxemia of pregnancy, eclampsia and many more.
Magnesium Threonate is a form of synthesized magnesium that helps in boosting cognitive abilities. Having been branded the name Master Mineral, it is very paramount to one’s health, as it helps in keeping your nervous system in good condition and your brain healthy.
Importance of Foods Rich in Magnesium Threonate
There are various types of foods that are highly rich in magnesium threonate. These foods include ;
- Coffee – coffee contains caffeine which triggers the kidneys to release extra magnesium in the body regardless of your status
- Pumpkin seeds – pumpkin seeds contain magnesium which helps in reducing the amount of time waste takes to leave the colon thereby improving the motility of the gut.
- Nuts – the magnesium found in nuts helps in recovery of your muscles, providing strength and synthesizing of protein for your metabolism.
- Spinach – Spinach is food rich in fiber and frequent consumption increases the level of magnesium in one’s body which helps in reducing the rate of stroke occurrence and migraine headaches.
Features of Magnesium Threonate
It provides solutions to problems such as neuroprotective properties, anxiety, stress, and depression. Just like most supplements of magnesium, it is Chelated meaning that the molecules are bonded to each other and this helps in improving the bioavailability, stability, and absorption of the supplements.
Developed in Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and in Beijing at Tsinghua University, by a team that consisted purely of Neuroscientists, people are advised not to have any worries due to the fact that they might think the product is not natural. This is because magnesium supplements are not really better naturally. An example is the Magnesium sulphate which is found in Epsom salts but cannot be absorbed due to its harsh laxative effect.
Almost half of the industrialized world is lacking in magnesium due to the fact most modern diets don’t include magnesium. Magnesium threonate was created to cross the protective filter of the brain and increase its plasticity, therefore, plays a very important role in your body. There has also been evidence in the fact that magnesium threonate can help in stimulating the formation of new brain cells through its ability to increase a protein known as the neurotrophic factor of the brain.
Advantages of Magnesium Threonate
There are plenty of benefits of magnesium threonate which include ;
- Magnesium enhances both short and long terms formation of the brain’s memory.
- It helps in forming faster brain memories as well as preservation even in the old age.
- Magnesium threonate helps in providing better and quality sleep.
- It helps in reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Magnesium threonate also helps in brain-related conditions such as high blood pressure, asthma, heart disease, muscle cramps and osteoporosis.
Draw-downs of Magnesium Threonate
Just like every other product, magnesium threonate also comes with its own side effects and its main draw-down includes;
- Gastrointestinal distress. This is especially for new users who are introduced to the supplement. However, one can prevent this side effect by making sure they stick to the right dosage they were instructed to take and not overdose or underdose.
- The good thing about magnesium threonate is the fact that it has few side effects compared to the advantages that it has.
Once on the Amazon site, you can find many more types of magnesium threonate supplements to choose the one that best suits you.
Pricing at Amazon
Due to the fact that magnesium threonate comes in different varieties, prices vary from one type to the other. Prices of magnesium threonate at Amazon start from $15 and above.
However, it would be best you get to check out more about the pricing on the Amazon site so that you can be able to compare and buy the one that suits you best.
How to Use This Product
Unlike magnesium which requires a daily dose allowance of 320mg for women and 420mg for men, magnesium threonate does not have a recommended daily allowance. However, one is advised to consume between 1500mgs – 2000mgs in a day to be on the safe side.
In order to benefit from optimal cognitive through magnesium threonate one is recommended to take 2000mgs a day. In as much as it may sound to be a lot in terms of consumption, one should not forget the fact that magnesium threonate is only a fraction of the magnesium itself.
Consume Different types of Magnesium
Although magnesium threonate helps in providing solutions to some of the issues in your body, it is recommended that one consumes different varieties of magnesium in order to curb the deficiency that is mostly experienced by most people.
Apart from magnesium threonate, one can consume magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate and many other better supplements in order to help in providing high magnesium in your body.
This, in the long run, can really benefit you in providing your body with plenty of benefits and live a healthy life that is quite convenient. Taking more than one form of magnesium does not have any negative effect on your body, therefore there is no absolute reason that prevents you from consuming more magnesium.
Important Note About Magnesium Threonate
There are a few important things you should note before buying magnesium threonate anywhere else apart from Amazon and also as a user of the product. These include ;
- Not all magnesium supplements contain magnesium threonate, there are only a few. Therefore, one should double check the label of the product before buying in order to make sure it contains magnesium threonate.
- Although magnesium threonate can be found in its own generic form, it has two brand names that are quite similar and both have compounds that have chemical. However, they are not identical therefore you can look out for them while considering to buy the product.
- Magnesium threonate contains Magtein, a raw ingredient that is found in the formulations of magnesium and has been well researched in animals as well as patented.
- Magnesium threonate improves the working of the brain, therefore, makes you more focused, attentive and able to retain short-term and long-term memory. A research done on rats showed that they became great and smarter when they were given magnesium threonate.
Your body requires magnesium for good health, both mentally and physically. Therefore, one should strive as much as possible to make sure they consume enough magnesium in order to live a healthy life. Magnesium threonate supplements are also very important as they help in solving some of the critical body conditions by boosting one’s cognitive abilities. Its importance can not be more emphasized because magnesium threonate is just a product that is one of a kind meant to transform your life and make it way much more convenient. One should make sure they try to consume magnesium in order to reduce the deficiency that might have already been there. This, in turn, will help your body a lot and the benefits will start to show after a consistent period of time.
Sol Ruiz heads our Research Digest department. He graduated from the New York University where he obtained his Master’s Degree in Public Health.